Apple launches screen replacement program for aluminum Apple Watch Series 2 and Series 3September 2, 2019
If you own an Apple Watch Series 2 or Series 3 of the aluminum variety, and you’ve run into an issue with a cracked screen, then Apple may have a program for you.
Late last week, Apple officially launched a dedicated screen replacement program for the aluminum Apple Watch Series 2 and Series 3. According to the company, under “very rare circumstances”, a crack “may form along the rounded edge of the screen” in the aforementioned aluminum models. Apple even included imagery that shows just how the crack can start along one edge and then continue along the screen:
The company’s announcement says that an Apple store, or an Apple Authorized Service Provider, will repair the screen that is inflicted with this type of crack free of charge. You will need an eligible Apple Watch Series 2 and/or Series 3 to get the free repair, though.
So, here are the eligible models:
Apple Watch Series 2
- 38mm and 42mm; space gray, rose gold, gold, and silver aluminum; sold between September 2016 and September 2017
- 38mm and 42mm Nike+; space gray and silver aluminum; sold between October 2016 and October 2017
Apple Watch Series 3
- 38mm and 42mm GPS; space gray, gold, and silver aluminum; sold between September 2017 and September 2019
- 38mm and 42mm GPS+Cellular; space gray, gold, and silver aluminum; sold between September 2017 and September 2019
- 38mm and 42mm Nike+ GPS; space gray and silver aluminum; sold between October 2017 and September 2019
- 38mm and 42mm Nike+ GPS+Cellular; space gray and silver aluminum; sold between October 2017 and September 2019
Here is how Apple describes the service process for this screen replacement program:
Choose one of the options below to have your Apple Watch serviced. In all cases, your device will be sent to an Apple Repair Center. Your Apple Watch will be examined prior to any service to verify that it is eligible for this program.
Your Apple Watch will be returned to you in approximately 5 business days.
The new screen replacement program is available now. If you have an eligible model that is inflicted with the cracked screen, now you can get it fixed for free.
Do you plan on taking advantage of this program?